Over the past week I have been reading and watching the events in
I admit that I feel powerless and overwhelmed in the face of global crisis. I have information at my fingertips and see injustice. I want to be able to change things and to use my power as a person to make it right. However I can’t change it with a keystroke, a signature, and all the funds in my bank account or with the sheer force of the emotion that I feel in my heart. I know that the only thing I can do is provide information to the people who want to listen and be faithful to my beliefs. I am one person and I stand against violence, hatred, injustice, cruelty and evil. I stand against the things with every fiber of my being.
The situation in
“We are just the ordinary people struggling and working for our family’s needs everyday. We stage our protests out of our courage to fight against the dictatorship. We are not well-funded, well-supported nor well-organized. Against all the odds and all the bullets from the soldiers rifles, there are monks, students and people out there in Burma marching and sacrificing their lives for what they believe and what they have been longing for - free Burma where everyone is free from fear, free from dictatorship, free to think, free to express one’s belief, free to do a business and free to have a control over one’s own life. For many ordinary people in
I know that I cannot sit idly by. I know that I cannot sleep well with the freedom and comfort that has been inherited by my citizenship. I feel that I owe it to myself to give everything I can in an effort to make the world a better place. I received a response the other day after my first email out about this subject and it simply said “I should be removed from your list. I’m not much for changing the world.” Now I realize that there are different ways of living and different ways of looking at the world but that was shocking. That was a friend that I have spent years listening to and supporting. I have given my time and love to someone that will not return kindness to people that cannot help themselves. Please don’t misunderstand my words – I don’t think everyone has to feel the way I do. I don’t think that everyone has to sign a petition to be friends with me but I DO believe strongly that there is no room in my life for people that are simply selfish. Who thinks to themselves ‘I have the power to change the world but I don’t really care and so I’m choosing NOT to. I’m making a conscious decision to deny hope, change and peace to people in need.’
It’s not that I think I am better than anyone. It’s not that I think I know all the answers. It’s that I think and feel and act with compassion and with love towards others. I’m simply trying to be the best person I know how and using my voice. I hope that the world will one day be a place in which war and atrocities are a distant memory. I pray for it everyday.
May I become at all times, both now and forever
A protector for those without protection
A guide for those who have lost their way
A ship for those with oceans to cross
A bridge for those with rivers to cross
A sanctuary for those in danger
A lamp for those without light
A place of refuge for those who lack shelter
And a servant to all in need.
Tenzin Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama
No comments:
Post a Comment